1.1 BUSINESS PROCESS
ECATU’s business process is aimed at providing a co-ordinated function across and within programmes to ensure the effective and efficient programme and project management while ensuring the delivery on the organisation’s mandate. Figure 1.2 below summarises the business process as adopted by ECATU. The process flow seeks to be dynamic and ensures the agility of the organisation in responding to emerging and changing technologies and innovations.
Figure 1.2: ECATU’s Business Process Flow
Corporate and Support Services
The main focus areas of ECATU are:
1. To Contribute to the Development of an Agrarian Economy and Facilitating Food Security;
The aim is to demonstrate agricultural technologies that aim to improve food and nutritional security. This includes:
- The demonstration of principles to organic farming as well as alternative approaches and technologies to organic farming;
- To provide training to rural communities and cooperatives on organic farming, its associated technologies
- To promote value addition through agro-processing
2. To Facilitate Access to Basic Building Infrastructure, Water and Sanitation;
This priority area of basic building infrastructure aims:
- To promote alternative and sustainable approaches to delivering community based infrastructure using locally available technologies;
- Promote and ensure the maximum participation of communities project management process;
- Promote the sourcing and utilization of local raw materials and on site production of construction materials.
- Promote cost effective technologies that promote natural resource management.
This priority area of water and sanitation seeks to:
- To strengthen capacity in rural on-site water, sanitation and health through the provision of sanitation facilities and water biofilter purification systems.
- Training of learners and rural community members who will participate in the projects on health and hygiene, construction, use and maintenance of the facilities
- Establishment of cooperatives involved in the project and other similar projects.
3. Facilitate Access to Alternative Sources of Alternative Energy;
This priority area seeks to:
- Undertake research on alternative cost effective and sustainable energy solutions;
- Pilot solar and biogas technologies to promote their adoption among rural communities;
- Provide training to end users of the technologies.